February 20, 2009

I think im a geek because somehow, the thing that i find most enjoyable on this sep is the Econs lectures. I enjoy the econs classes here, i really do. I like how the lecturers always bring in real life examples to help us understand whats going on in the world, instead of just teaching us theories and not integrating it into context (unlike NUS lecturers who basically regurgitate the whole book). Not to mention that the professors here have so much more experience working in the real world and are rather distinguished and influentical economists themselves too. This probably stems from the fact that they are Americans and many key economic ideas were proposed by Americans themselves. Furthermore, since they are living in America, it is more likely for them to work in major institutions which are based in USA, like the FED and NBER.

For example, my Money & Banking lecturer used to work in the Federal Reserve Banks and he knows prominent economists like Mishkin and Ben Bernanke is a long time friend of his! Im always delighted when he shares with us his experience of working in the FED and how he interprete recent events. He said the congressman are all lawyers who know nothing about economics, he has a good mind to give them a seminar or two on economics, and i totally agree! I still dont quite approve of the bailout plan... to me, it's just a transfer of wealth from the poor to the very rich. I think it would be more effective to give that money directly to the poor and help them through this tough period instead of giving it to the rich and hoping it would drain to the poor, coz it doesnt.

I love the insights from the lecturers, i love how they make me think critically about economic policies. I wish my major is Econs instead of psy and i had taken up a scholarship to study Econs in the states instead of psy in NUS where career prospects seem bleak.

I think im probably the only one who discovered that she comes on sep to really learn, rather than play and travel (my dad will be glad to know that!).

PS: i topped my class for my money & banking course and mummy rewarded me with a pair of UGG boots :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home